Share | 

Work in progress title: The Book of 8

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Honest Red
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

PostSubject: Work in progress title: The Book of 8   Fri May 06, 2011 12:21 am

Tale of Tales has been working on a game called "8" for years now. However its been in development limbo up till 2010 when they were able to work on it again.

They have a tumblr where they post their research/source material they are gathering: http://thebookof8.tumblr.com/

This game has been on my radar since they had mentioned in their forums that they were working on this title again back in early 2010. However the style was a bit different from their previous games and I was on the fence as to how this game would go.

I'm not going to lie, I absolutly LOVED The Path and I really wanted another game that was of its essence. In my personal opinion I think they should do more horror games. The Path is one of their most popular games or atleast in my opinion its gotten a lot more attention than their other games. And not really pushing thats it was popular but the fact they pulled off a horror game so well.

In a post made on their Update page, they posted this interesting piece of information:

"It’s time for us to switch back to The Book of 8 now. But we’re giving ourselves a little more time to wrap up Cncntrc and to take care of some unrelated things later this month. We’re eager to get back to the world of 8, though, because we have exciting new ideas.

It started with our realization that we’re not satisfied with the Cncntrc prototype. We need to delve deeper into this issue when some more time has passed, but we’ve come to a few very clear conclusions already. In short, Cncntrc was an experiment, not only with a different form, but also with a different approach to design. Something we really needed to try out and that we now know is not what we excel at, not the direction in which we want to explore this medium.

When we came to this realization, we had a cold hard look at our ideas for The Book of 8 and noticed that it too suffered from some of the misconceptions that we had for Cncntrc. And from that, we quickly saw the undesirable direction the project might take. So we decided to ditch everything we have created so far and start over.

We’re unhappy about losing so many months of work. But we’re very excited about our new concept for 8. It’s completely different from what we were trying to make (and in some ways closer to the original design, but more to the point, closer to the design of The Graveyard and The Path). The difference lies mostly in the focus on creating worlds to be in, rather than stories to look at (something we kept coming back to in our presentation last week in Lille about the links between video games and cinema -as if our subconscious was trying to warn us).

We only hope that enough time remains in our prototyping schedule to make a good demonstration of this new idea for rethinking 8.

When some time has passed, we’ll get back to the Cncntrc project, analyze what went wrong and decide what to do with the idea. And even if it seems unlikely at this point that we would take the current design into full production (though we could of course still change our mind), we believe that there is potential there for using some of the ideas and concepts in another form. And we really should do something with the wonderful music Walter Hus and his band HUS have created."

The bit about it being more closer to The Graveyard and The Path is somewhat relieving to me. I definitely want something like The Path. So this definitely peaks my interest.

If you'd like to visit their old site for The Book of 8 go here: http://tale-of-tales.com/8/

I guess I'm a little excited to see how this game progresses. If it can capture my attention like The Path did, I'll definitly be purchasing it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://oncebittenforum.forumotion.com
Misfit Red
New Arrival
New Arrival

PostSubject: Re: Work in progress title: The Book of 8   Fri May 06, 2011 7:49 pm

Fully agreed. I have been watching The Book of 8 tumblr ever since they mentioned it in their twitter I think, which was pretty much at the start of it. The only thing that makes me sad is that they will be forced to make the game smaller so that it's not as expensive as it used to be(I think back then they talked about it costing 2 millions?!). Playing it nowadays the Path is far too short for me. Hopefully they will make a longer game someday, even if it's not 8.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://merlineum.deviantart.com/
Honest Red
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Work in progress title: The Book of 8   Fri May 06, 2011 9:19 pm

Awesome! I'm glad someone else was watching the tumblr too! <3

I agree with that the Path was too short too. To summarize my feelings I wish the path had a little more interaction with the wolves besides they meet and immediately go to the cutscene. I remember in their demo alpha they had a short clip with Ruby and Charming wolf dancing together and some other fans had agreed that they wished it hadn't been cut out.

I know they get grants from the government's arts program in Belgium. I forget the exact name for the branch but I know they had received funding from them also for past projects. I hadn't known ToT was cutting money from "8" and thats a bit disappointing. However I do hope this restart will be beneficial in the end.

And yes, I'm right there with you. I would love to see them do a bigger, longer game. I think they would do something really awesome. Hopefully as they grow and make more games, they'll be able to afford a bigger budget for a bigger game.
Back to top Go down
Spooky Thing
New Arrival
New Arrival

PostSubject: Re: Work in progress title: The Book of 8   Sat May 07, 2011 11:13 am

After playing The Path, I hadn't really searched for more Tale of Tales games :/ But after going through the 8 website, I gotta say I can like it, and am specially attracted to the concept art scattered all around the site. And it's nice to have a new twisted fairytale. I think they call it 8 because the Girl-in-White-Dress is the eighth one to enter the Castle, right?

Still, it is sad to know they're cutting expenses with it. It does seem like a promising game, and I would definitely check it out.

And I'm another one who'd like a longer game. The Path is awesome, but really is too short D:
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Enigma
New Arrival
New Arrival

PostSubject: Re: Work in progress title: The Book of 8   Mon May 30, 2011 11:12 pm

Thanks for sharing! I always forget about their tumblrs....

Anyway, like everyone else, I'm incredibly excited for this. A longer game would be amazing. Perhaps the thing I would complain about in ToT's games is the sense of immersion. I was absolutely enamored with The Path after first playing it, to the point of obsession, but it can be hard to totally place yourself in the character's shoes. I think a longer game would fix this. It would give you more time to relate to the character.

Not that the girls from The Path hard really hard to relate to, but I feel like a longer game could draw the player in even more.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spooky Thing
New Arrival
New Arrival

PostSubject: Re: Work in progress title: The Book of 8   Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:56 pm

Nah, I did find the characters in The Path too tragic to relate to me in many ways. I appreciated them, was very interested in them and all, but I didn't feel like we had this... connection. Maybe with Rose, but just maybe.

I wonder if this games' protagonist will have some weird twist like all the red girls did...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Misfit Red
New Arrival
New Arrival

PostSubject: Re: Work in progress title: The Book of 8   Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:09 am

Well, the girl will be deaf, mute and... no, she wasn't blind. But it's weird enough they chose a deaf and mute protagonist. o_o I hope there will be some good riddles because a world were you can freely run around and interact is nice but... yeah.
Their concept of 'not-games' needs time to get used to.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://merlineum.deviantart.com/
Honest Red
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Work in progress title: The Book of 8   Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:39 pm

Misfit Red wrote:

Their concept of 'not-games' needs time to get used to.

Agreed. Even though I like their concepts I feel it sorta hinders the actual piece sometimes that they need to make it a "not-game". I think what I'm trying to convey is I feel like they try to minimalize content because they feel it would be too much like a game, but in actuality it could still be a stand-alone type of game if they let more content flow as long as its cohesive. If that makes sense.

Treat for anyone who missed this! They released a documentary that gives preivies for their games CNCNTRC and "8"!!!: http://vimeo.com/30073700
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Work in progress title: The Book of 8   

Back to top Go down

Work in progress title: The Book of 8
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1